Re: slapd maintenance

Geoff wrote:

> At todays enterprise BOF we were told that the ldap packages have only one
> maintainer. http://packages.debian.org/sid/slapd lists 6 people.
>
> Who is really active, and can anyone suggest some low hanging fruit for
> people who haven't done much previous debian work to try their hand at?

Matthijs Mohlmann has been doing almost all the work.  I haven't done
anything in eons except read the mailing list.  Steve Langasek has done
some commits and some uploads, and has provided valuable technical advice,
but doesn't have much time to work on the package.  I think Stephen is
reading the list but has no time for more than that.  I'm not sure about
Roland or Torsten; haven't seen them on the list in quite a while.

Matthijs had a request for review of cn=config work, which I think is the
immediate issue.  Someone could also go through the RFH bug and try to
contact all the people who replied to that bug and try to coordinate
ongoing work.

As mentioned in one of the talks today in general discussion, OpenLDAP has
really complicated configuration and maintainer scripts to try to deal
with upgrades and other issues and is therefore something that's hard to
control through configuration packages.  It would be nice to figure out
what to do with that, and to see if the maintainer scripts could be
simplified somewhat without losing any functionality.

There's also the stuff in the BTS as well, of course.

See http://packages.qa.debian.org/o/openldap.html and pkg-openldap-devel
in the Alioth mailing list archives.  Also, it would be great to build a
better working relationship with the Ubuntu maintainers, who have been
trying to coordinate with Debian but not having a lot of luck due to lack
of time on the Debian side.