Re: Renesas SH4 support in emdebian

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:12:30 +0000
Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:50:46 +0900
> Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <iwamatsu@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > This CPU[0] is useing on Embeded system.
> > I want to support Renesas SH4 in emdebian.
> >
> > Where should I begin work with?

Another problem has arisen. debian-ports has no support for testing
migrations. This could prevent Emdebian Grip creating a testing
distribution for SH4 that would be suitable for a stable release. What
happens is that the packages that *should* remain in testing and go
into freeze, will be replaced by subsequent uploads to unstable which
are *not* to be released. Files literally disappear or do not exist in
time before the equivalent Debian package has migrated.

If SH4 is to be a release architecture for Emdebian Grip, this will
have to be fixed. The only real way to do that is to get SH4 into
ftp.debian.org and subject to the usual "Britney" rules for testing
migration as a release architecture for Debian. Emdebian Grip does not
have the manpower or resources to duplicate the Debian release team and
their testing migration coordination workload - partly because that
would mean delaying testing migrations on behalf of SH4. We cannot
simply assume that package "foo" migrates into testing on SH4 in
Emdebian when Debian does not have a testing package (even in -ports) -
there is no guarantee that the appropriate version has yet been built
for SH4 because testing migrations do not wait for SH4 to be up to date
(it isn't a release architecture).

This will have to be fixed before any packages are frozen for the
Debian 6.0 "squeeze" release.

The only other way is for someone else to manage SH4 testing migrations
in a "best-effort" process in their own repository, using the scripts
in emdebian-grip-server - or on debian-ports. This level of
work-duplication is not attractive, the best approach would be to get
SH4 into the list of architectures deemed suitable for release with
Squeeze. It turns out that the links between Emdebian and Debian are
deeper than may first appear - testing and freeze processes are tightly
integrated. Releasing SH4 in Emdebian Grip is not shortcut to getting
SH4 accepted as a release architecture for Debian - indeed, unless
-ports can support testing migrations, support in Emdebian must follow
support in Debian, not vice versa.