Re: Problems with installing Emdebian Grip from Lenny

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:04:41 +0000
Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> The behaviour of the Debian Installer for Lenny has changed since the
> release candidates and features used to enable the installation of
> Emdebian Grip are either broken or absent.

OK, I've got some confirmation now, pre-seeding was removed from the
installer at the last minute - en masse. Some problem with preseeding
files being picked up on CD's.

> I need people to explore
> these options and report bugs so that things can be fixed for the first
> stable update.

We still need bug reports - against debian-installer - to try and get
pre-seeding fixed and reintroduced.

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/02/msg00003.html
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases/PointReleases/5.0.1
>
> I'm testing whether it is a problem in the boot.img.gz or the ISO.

Still testing.

> Two ways out of this:
>
> 1. People who have already installed without passing parameters on the
> boot command line will end up with standard Debian 5.0 "lenny" including
> a desktop (which will be GNOME if you use the automatic install) - which
> can then be upgraded to Emdebian Grip 1.0:
>
> 	a) add the emdebian grip repository (or replace the debian one)
> 	   deb http://www.emdebian.org/grip lenny main
> 	b) apt-get update
> 	c) apt-get install grip-config
> 	d) apt-get dist-upgrade

This does work - some 400Mb freed after the first dist-upgrade, which
actually removes some GNOME and OOo packages.

> It is imperative that grip-config is installed immediately after the
> update and before any attempt to run any apt-get upgrade or apt-get
> dist-upgrade. This method can only work if you have room for standard
> Debian 5.0 with GNOME, before removing it all - wasting time. Bad. A
> manual install with no pre-seeding and a manual upgrade is a little
> less bad in that the installer takes less time and there is less to
> cleanup. Note: it does take a HUGE amount of time to do this on an Acer
> Aspire 1 so I'm only going to test method 1 once. ;-)

Taken half a day already.

> 2. I am going to make the relevant images available on www.emdebian.org
> for people to use my old (working) installers. This an unofficial
> installer, things could go wrong so if there are bugs in the
> early release people will have to keep this one for Emdebian and a
> "genuine" one for Debian. Ugly.
>
> 3. Those who have tried to get the Lenny installer to actually work
> should probably use method 2 to reinstall. Bad.
>
> 4. If anyone finds time to build new installation images for i386 and
> armel with d-i fixed, www.emdebian.org will gladly host the resulting
> images for you. Still means people have to carry two installers and
> requires quite a lot of testing.
>
> So we have 2 Bad, 1 Ugly and no Good. :-(
>
> Testing continues and bug reports will follow.

Those who have already tried Grip, please file bugs.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/