Re: cross toolchains and etch toolchain sources

On 06-07-28 18:49 +0400, Alexander Shishkin wrote:
> On 7/28/06, Eric Cooper <ecc@cmu.edu> wrote:
> >Are these cross-tools built from the regular source packages, with
> >different build parameters, or via the toolchain-source package?  (If
> >the former, is there a HOWTO somewhere?)
> No, those are built from source packages.
> And yes, there is a howto page:
> http://www.emdebian.org/tools/crosstools.html
> It is somewhat dated, but you still get the idea.

Well done Alexander. It is better than I thought - 4.1 was not
cross-building at all for me last time I tried a few months back. And
4.0 was broken for mips and mipsel (IIRC).

Anyone got time to do the same tests for 3.4?

Are 3.3 and 4.0 going to remain in etch as well? Do we need to
maintain these versions as being cross-buildable or is 3.4 and 4.1
sufficient?

> >There was a recent question about toolchain-source on debian-devel,
> >for example.  If using the regular packages results in a better set of
> >cross-tools, perhaps toolchain-source should be deprecated somehow in
> >etch, or at least some README information added to that package?

> Yeap, there were several discussions regarding toolchain-source
> package. I think it was agreed that the package is no longer used and
> can be safely dropped.

Toolchain source is definately deprecated, and has been for some time
- a year or two - since it became possible to build from the normal
source. The only problem with removing it completely is the case
where you want to build an 'unusual' cross-toolchain. Something like
gcc-avr-linux or a candian cross or anything else not supported by
the current scheme. Then I think you still need to start from
toolchain-source. Gyrosgeier has been thinking about this I think.

We should certainly make it clear that toolchain-source is not
normally the right place to start anymore.

work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/