Re: Diverting dpkg-architecture

On 6/8/06, Wookey <wookey@aleph1.co.uk> wrote:
That said, for arches that will only be cross-built, having them only in
dpkg-cross will be perfectly adequate. The only real objection is that
'diverts' is a bit of a hack really - so long as having extra arches in
dpkg-architecture in dpkg does not break native builds putting them there is
better than having to add a new version with a diversion in dpkg-cross. The
same argument probably applies to the other files which currently get
diverted (dpkg-buildpackage and dpkg-shlibdeps).
From this prospective, dpkg-cross should not exist as a standalone
package, but rather be part of dpkg or even better be integrated into
dpkg itself. Which is, surely a nice thing to have, but, well, not for
now.

Nevertheless it needs more work to get Debian to take cross-building
seriously, and we need to prove it can work, so all this is a long-term
goal. Doing what we need in dpkg-cross makes a lot of sense right now.
Exactly. Step by step we achieve our long-term goals.
Thanks for your opinions anyway!

Regards,
--
I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally.