[itz@speakeasy.org (Ian Zimmerman)] emacs20: X selection misbehavior

--- Begin Message ---
Package: emacs20
Version: 20.7-10.1
Severity: normal

This is something that has bothered me a long time before I finally decided
to file a report, so I am quite sure there is a problem, though I don't
really know if it is in emacs or some other piece of the puzzle.

Sometimes when I select a piece of text in another program (xterm or tkman
or mozilla are examples, but it seems it can happen with any program) I am
unable to paste the selection into emacs.  Instead, doing the "yank"
command in emacs always pastes emacs' last "kill".  When I do
"Alt-: (x-get-selection-internal 'PRIMARY 'STRING)" the result is also
emacs' last kill, even though I just selected something in xterm a second
before that.  And once this happens, is seems impossible to get the right
behavior in that session of emacs - the only way to set it right is to
quit emacs and restart it.

It is far from consistent - it happens to me maybe once a week, and I am
an emacs zealot, meaning I do almost everything with it.  But when it
happens it is annoying to no end.

-- System Information
Debian Release: woody
Kernel Version: Linux kronstadt 2.4.19 #2 Sat Aug 17 10:14:36 PDT 2002 i586 unknown

Versions of the packages emacs20 depends on:
ii  dpkg           1.10           Package maintenance system for Debian
ii  emacsen-common 1.4.13         Common facilities for all emacsen.
ii  libc6          2.2.5-11.1     GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone
ii  liblockfile1   1.03           NFS-safe locking library, includes dotlockfi
ii  libncurses5    5.2.20020112a- Shared libraries for terminal handling
ii  libxaw7        4.1.0-6        X Athena widget set library
ii  xlibs          4.1.0-5        X Window System client libraries

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087

--- End Message ---