Re: timeline for 5.0.4+edu1 in mid March 2010

Hi,

apologies for further delay... besides that I moved eight days ago (which was
unexpected when I published the original timeline on February 16th(!)) and
didnt have internet here on the 2nd day as planned, I was also unmotivated to
fix that faster and then slow(er) to catchup/proceed with various stuff since
exactly a week ago today, I had to bury my wonderful dog after he accompanied
me for more then 13 years...

On the plus side, due to the lack of internet, I managed to unpack everything
already and almost set everything up :-)

Back on topic:

On Montag, 1. März 2010, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Dienstag, 16. Februar 2010, Holger Levsen wrote:
> the following has been done:
> > - Send out a call for translations of d-e-install NOW - we dont have any
> > string changes planned, right?
> >
> > - commits to trunk need to be suited for lenny(-test). If that is not
> > possible, either commit the patch to the Debian bts or copy the last tag
> > which is in our lenny to branches/lenny/$package and then commit to
> > trunk. Putting the patch in the BTS is prefered, as else trunk and branch
> > need to be kept in sync.
> >
> > - NEW packages for lenny-test must be in squeeze (with whatever version).
> >
> > - To move a package to lenny, the same version must be in sid at least.
> debian-edu-config, debian-edu-install and shutdown-at-night have newer
> versions in our lenny-test than in sid. Please upload newer versions to
> sid, I suggest to use non ~svn versions and also upload to lenny-test.

This has happened as well.

> > - At freeze time the packages will be moved from lenny-test to lenny,
> > after that only fixes for bug of priority 1 and regressions compared to
> > 5.0.4+edu0 are acceptable.

I expect to do this (^) tomorrow.

> This will probably happen on the 4th or 5th of march only:
> > - Release rc1 and start drafting the international press announcement on
> > the 3th.

I now plan to release rc1 and start drafting the international press
announcement on saturday, the 13th.

> And this is the "far future":
> > - Release rc2 on the 9th, if needed. try to finish the international
> > press announcement until the 9th, because if no new issues are found, the
> > release can be announced on the 11th.

Current estimates: rc2 on the 20th now (if no issues are found in rc1, do
final release on the 22nd instead).

I think it's actually quite likely there are no issues in rc1 :-)

> > - To finish the international press announcement the text has to be
> > agreed upon the release managers and the Debian press team, though inputs
> > from everyone are very appreciated .
> >
> > - 13th: last day for building and uploading debian-edu-install and
> > debian-edu-doc to include new translations. two days are needed to do and
> > test the final builds.
> >
> > - Release 5.0.4+edu1 on the 16th, send out international press release by
> > Debian press team.

Current estimates: if issues are found in rc1 (but not in rc2..), the 24th is
the last upload day for d-e-i and d-e-d for new translations, final release
on the 26th.

And the following after that:

> > - Party.
> >
> > - Release of national and local press releases.
> >
> > - More party!
> >
> > - Maintainance mode after edu1 means: updates to the documentation and
> > its translations (via the d-e-doc package), security fixes, mostly via
> > Debian, important bugfixes if non-intrusive, mostly via Debian. make a
> > 5.0.X+edu2 release if needed.
>
> As said:
> > - This timeline is a guideline, which we aim to match. We release when
> > everything is ready.

* Emphasize the last paragraph�*

cheers,
	Holger