Re: Red Alert: Spam // Re: Yet another list statistics for debian-edu

On Saturday 31 January 2009 10:55:31 Holger Levsen wrote:
> Dear Ralf,
>
> On Samstag, 31. Januar 2009, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> > This situation is not only annoying for all of us, but prone to push off
> > rather passive readers. Does anybody know how to cope with it?
>
> please read:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2009/01/msg00122.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2009/01/msg00128.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2009/01/msg00134.html
>
> Other than further improving the spam filters (which I think are pretty
> good already and definitly have been improved to deal with backscatter in
> the last week), our only other and last resort is to make the list
> moderated, which might effectly turn it into a posting for subscribers only
> list.
>
> So far I havent really seen consenus we want that.

moderating posts for non subscribed addresses sounds like a good idea to me.
It will eliminate the spam. With a added delay for unsubscribed posters.
If someone is unhappy with the delay they can simply subscribe..

Ï think elimination of spam is more then worth that small inconvinience.

Ronny Aasen