Re: backscatter Re: Eliminating SPAM from archive (Was: Yet another list statistics for debian-edu)

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:27:16 +0100, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
>> > I'm seriously
>> > considering unsubscribing to from this list due to this
>> > latest bout of spam bounces on it...
>
> The problem with backscatter is, that it's really hard to fight,

 That sucks

> because it's basically legitimate mail.

 Alas, this part will make many a reader think "you suck",
because we human readers can clearly identify those bounces
as misplaced and undesireable.  We just can't come up with
the ultimate(*) filter rule for it.

Those who _can_, employ a suitable filter rule.
Those who _can't_, bitch or unsubscribe.

It is a prediction, not an order. :-)

*) Ultimate rule: Human and computer friendly,
 i.e. no false positives and modest resource consumption.

--
Herman Robak