Re: open office?

El mar, 06-01-2009 a las 12:54 +0100, Holger Levsen escribió:
> Hi Nigel,
>
> On Dienstag, 6. Januar 2009, nigel barker wrote:
> > How unreasonable/impossible is it to ask for open office 3 to be in the
> > Lenny debian-edu?
>
> Totally.
>
> Maintaining openoffice.org is a huge task (and in need of help), the current
> debian maintainer has been asking for help with it, and afaik gotten none.
>
> We (Debian Edu) don't have the ressources to maintain openoffice.org 3
> packages.
>
> If you are interested in helping the maintainer and thus improving the quality
> of the package in the future, I believe an easy start would be helping with
> dealing with the open bugs against the package.

Anyway, OO 3.0 is currently in Debian experimental and it is ready to be
compiled in Lenny. In fact, the maintainer has included some environment
variables in the debianization to make that possible. So, as soon as
Lenny becomes stable, you can be sure that it will be available in
debian-backports and, thus, you can use it in lenny, even if it's not
considered a Debian stable application.

Also, I must confess I have compiled it and tested and:
1) there are not many noticeable differences from 2.4 (excepting the
good bunch of extensions that 3.0 can install, as the one to edit pdf
files)
2) Using it in a computer with an Ati Radeon card, it made segfaults the
X server everytime I used Impress. So, I rejected the idea of using it
in my schools in this state. I'm waiting for version 3.1 ;)

Regards.
José L.