Intent to NMU debian-edu-install to fix pending po-debconf l10n bugs
(well, OK, this is my standard NMU mail. However, I guess that Debian
Edu developers will prefer managing the upload themselves. In such
cases, please *still* interact with me. I think this is a good
occasion to fix #434098 and #453676 and that requires a round of
translation updates, which I'm ready to manage)
Dear Debian maintainer,
The debian-edu-install Debian package, which you are the maintainer of, has
pending bug report(s) which include translation updates or fixes
for po-debconf, namely bug number 434097 (and maybe other similar bugs).
Even if we're still far from the release of the next Debian version,
letting such bugs sleep in the BTS is simply lowering
the chances that your package interaction with its users may be done
in something else than the English language. It is also not
encouraging for translators.
I have the intention, as part of a more general action of the Debian
i18n Task Force to build and possibly upload a non-maintainer upload
for debian-edu-install in order to fix this as well as all pending translations
for the debconf templates.
Of course, an upload made by you would even be better...:-)
Such changes are always harmless, which explains why I safely consider
building NMU's for such issues even though they're obviously non critical.
The schedule for the NMU (in case it happens, that is if you agree with it
or if I don't receive any answer in 14 days) is roughly the following:
Friday, April 18, 2008 : send this notice
Friday, May 02, 2008 : post a NMU announcement to debian-i18n with you
Monday, May 12, 2008 : deadline for receiving translation updates
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 : build the package and upload it to DELAYED/2-day
send the NMU patch to the BTS
Thursday, May 15, 2008 : NMU reaches incoming
If you intent to upload yourself, please notify me so that I interrupt
the process on my side.
In case I upload an NMU, I will subscribe to the Package Tracking System for
debian-edu-install and follow its life for 60 days after my NMU in order to fix
any issue potentially introduced by my upload.
Let me know, as soon as possible, if you have any kind of objection to this
If you'd rather do the fix yourself, I will of course leave the package
alone. Same if you have reasons not to do the update now.