Re: Education metapackages reorganization

El jue, 05-07-2007 a las 11:00 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen escribió:
> [José L. Redrejo Rodríguez]
> > So, yes, I think they all be dependency in those profiles.
>
> OK.  I have nothing against it, but to do that we need to increase the
> partition sizes for at least /usr/.
>
> I suggest implementing this change by adding this to the standalone
> task:
>
>   Recommends:  education-astronomy, education-chemistry, \
>                education-electronics, education-geography, \
>                education-graphics, education-language, \
>                education-logic-games, education-mathematics, \
>                education-music, education-physics, education-misc
>   Why:         Include all educational tasks proposed by Linex.
>   Responsible: Petter Reinholdtsen
>   NeedConfig:  No
>
> In time, it might make sense to move packages from the standalone task
> and into these individual tasks.
>
> Adding this will increase the workstation, standalone and
> thin-client-server profiles with these packages:
>
>   aspell atomix audacity blinken cgoban chemtool childsplay denemo
>   dia-gnome dict drgeo easychem freebirth gchempaint gdis geg geomview
>   ghemical gnome-games gnome-utils gnugo gnuplot gpredict gpsim
>   gpsim-logic grace graphmonkey graphthing gtans gtick hydrogen i2e
>   kanagram kbruch keduca kguitar khangman kicad kicad-doc-de
>   kicad-doc-en kicad-doc-es kicad-doc-fr kig klatin klettres
>   kpercentage ksimus ksimus-boolean ksimus-datarecorder
>   ksimus-floatingpoint ksokoban kverbos kvoctrain lingot lmemory
>   mathwar noteedit octave octaviz oregano partlibrary planets pymol
>   qcad qucs rosegarden score-reading-trainer scribus-ng solfege
>   ssystem starplot stellarium sweep terminatorx tilp trans-de-en
>   tuxtype viewmol vym wordnet wordtrans-data wordtrans-kde wxmaxima
>   xabacus xboard xdrawchem xjig xmms xpaint xplanet xplanet-images
>   xsok
>

> Do we already have equivalent kde packages installed for some of these
> program types?  I suspect we want to avoid having too many
> alternatives filling the same need.

Apart from gnome-games that might be replaced by kdegames|gnome-games in
a kde profile, there are no replacement for the rest. Actually, I
haven't taken care of the desktop the application is made for. I only
have look at the features and teacher's demand on them. Some
applications are similar but with different end users. As an example:
qucs vs oregano. Oregano is gtk based and it's easier to use, so it's
more useful for general students learning electronic as part of physics
or chemistry. Qucs is qt based, but is much more powerful, a little hard
to use, but it can do many things oregano can not, and it's righter for
vocational teaching or subjects focused only in electricity or
electronic. Same could be applied to kig vs drgeo, etc. Those has been
my criteria.

> I have no idea yet how much disk space they require, but suspect it is
> enough to fill the current partition sizes.  This mean we need to
> increase the partition sizes first.

It will depend on the previous libraries installation. If qt and gtk
libraries were already installed I think it will be about 400 mb more.

> Any objections to my plan to add these packages to the default
> installation?

It's perfect for me, I'm only afraid of delaying the release for the
changes.