Re: Promotional buttons on web pages?

Andreas Tille schreef:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, RalfGesellensetter wrote:

today, I "enhanced" http://tjener on our installation by two promotional
buttons/banners for Openoffice.org and Firefox. This induced some
considerations if we should do similar cross project support
- on our default pages in /var/www
- on our web portal(s)?

I'm reserved if it concerns promotional buttons.  What is the real
effect?  People who visit Debian-Edu (or Free Software sites in
general) will mostly know about OO and Firefox.  If they have choosen
a different office solution / browser they did it intentionally and
will not change anything because they see a button on a Debian-Edu
web site.  So what is the effect of such a button?

  - Helping OO or Firefox project?  Probably not.
  - Helping Debian-Edu?  Probably not.
  - Wasting bandwidth with unnecessary images?  Probably.
  - Bluring a web page with just another image?  Probably.

If you ask me it is a superfluous flavour of adopting advertising
habits of commercial world.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

Would it be possible to use moodle or dokeos as homepage of tjener.
That way it would be easy to administrate the contents and even connect it to the ldap installation.

Sebastiaan