Re: Automatic proxy configuration

On Friday 09 February 2007 19:20, Patrick Winnertz wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 09.02.2007, 18:59 +0100 schrieb cobaco (aka Bart
> > On Friday 09 February 2007 13:16, Patrick Winnertz wrote:
> > > Hey,
> > >
> > > at the moment we ship our kde with preconfigured proxy for konqueror,
> > > and if someone uses firefox he has to manually configure the proxy
> > > for it. (profile ltspserver).
> > > What do you think of an automatic configuration for browsers. It is
> > > possible to ship such informations with dns or dhcp, to make the
> > > browser run an script where the proxy informations are stored in.
> >
> > kde is preconfigured to use the contents of http_proxy and ftp_proxy
> > environment variables ar proxy.
> >
> > > I think it would be a great idea to ship such an configuration tool
> > > with skolelinux, this would solve in my eyes some issues:
> >
> > The addon at [1] makes firefox follow those variables as well
> >
> > [1] https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3896/
>
> okay, but this have to be installed by _every_ user.. not that good
> solution.

there's several packages  for firefox extensions already, so there's no
reason why a package can't be made of this one

> I think it will do no harm if we use this automatic configuration
> script.
> Browsers which use the env vars, will use them, browsers which doesn't
> know about them will look for this script. everything will work out of
> the box ;-) and i think this is what we want.

is it? that gives 2 places you need to change/set the proxy, not that big a
deal I suppose but still suboptimal, and if we go this route this needs to
be well documented
--
Cheers cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)