Re: Use of BTS for end-users

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 11:03:42AM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
      <snip/>
> So to clarify: I believe it is _bad_ for Skolelinux to maintain a
> separate BTS for _developers_ of Skolelinux. I strongly recommend
> moving towards using the Debian BTS as much as at all possible.
>
> And I recommend collecting documentation of those cases where Debian
> developers do not want to cooperate with Skolelinux and post them in
> public, to avoid growing a myth about it and only keep to facts that
> can be passed to the Debian technical committee if needed. It is not in
> the general interest of Debian to harrash its forks.
>

> Probably a more sane interaction with non-techy users is a web forum. I
> personally do not like those, and share that with lots of fellow geeks.
> But many users, especially those used to the Windows world, do, and
> some Debian developers support that (and does it well, unlike the
> stupidities sometimes experienced in direct interactions with each
> package maintainer). A concrete suggestion is to ask the maintainers of
> http://forums.debian.net/ about creating a forum specifically for
> Skolelinux, and start advertising that as a place for Skolelinux users
> to discuss their problems.

I hope we can educate our users to find the way how to improve
the tools that they are using. I think that a "forum" is a detour (side
track ( or plain the wrong way )) to a solution.

Skolelinux was and is build outside some http://forum-alike-something.
IMHO It doesn't make sense to create a island for "newbies"

> Of course you should only do that if enough of you are interested in
> sticking around and nurse the visitors of such forum!

I have no problem with nursing for a _short_ term,
I believe that teach is a better way.

We all were newbies, some had better tutors.

Geert Stappers
--
Give a man a fish, he can eat for a day.
Learn a man to fish, he can eat every day.