Re: Time to release a new version of autopartkit?

[RalfGesellensetter]
> Okay, it is maybe not fair to make a unproven statement -- but it is
> quite a while ago I used autopartkit. With sarge I usually go for
> manual partitioning (and I appreciate to be able to do so).

You can do this in woody as well, by answering no to the autopartkit
question, twice (that is a bug/misfeature in main-meny, since fixed, I
believe).

> This note concerns a woody installation:
> http://skolelinux.de/pipermail/user/2004-September/001914.html

Well, but it in BTS if you want it to be remembered.

> For Sarge, I could not find any postings on the German list. I am
> quite aware that there are many improvements with the parition
> layout. The only thing one could argue is how much to use for home0
> if there is a 160 GB platter. Some would complain if you assign only
> 40 GB, others would love to have the space for backup partitions.

Well, I believe it is smart to have several smaller partitions instead
of one large, to reduce backup recovery and fsck times.

> What do you think?

Look like a nice wishlist entry for the BTS.  :)

The idea looks good, and I would really love to see features like that
in the partitioning tool used by skolelinux.  On the other hand, I am
not sure if this will just make the first time user/admin more
confused, or if it would make him feel good.  We would need to test to
find out, I guess.

And Finn-Arne got a point when he suggest looking at partman-lvm-auto
(or whatever it is called).  It is not obvious that autopartkit is the
best option for the future.  We might be better off by improving the
partitioning tool used by the default in sarge.

Anyway, no-one volunteered to do any real work on autopartkit the next
few days, so I've uploaded the current svn version into the debian
archve and the sarge debian-edu APT source.