Re: The next level of Custom Debian Distributions

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 11:34:12AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> What would you recommend for the above right now, Andreas?
>
> That is, with an average teacher maintaining the system - not with Oslo
> Kommune paid tech staff to run around avoiding disasters...

no, because it does not work (as they expect).

> > jonas, please update yourself on the security of woody vs
> > testing. testing is by far more secure then woody even without
> > the 24h security fixes (but only slighly slower ones). see joeys
> > webpages for the numbers. (and i dont know the url now.)
>
> I know that woody provides a boring desktop and has problems with spiffy
> new laptops and high-end servers. But it is a surprise to me if you
> claim that it is *less* secure than sarge.

it is considerably less secure.

> If Joeyh provides numbers comparing the security of woody and sarge then
> please bring them on.

he could provide those himself, perhaps?

> We can hopefully soon agree on sarge as the best ever, but it is *not*
> *yet* considered stable. And even when it is, that does *not*
> automagically make Skolelinux+sarge stable - especially not if it is
> claimed that it smoothly handles upgrades from both woody, woody-based
> skolelinux and all sorts of mixes of testing sarge and unofficial
> Skolelinux development cruft.

ack.

> > the upgrade path that you mention is still an issue. but it is an
> > issue both for the sarge and for the woody installs. This is a
> > dilemma of the cdds and becomes only marginally better with woody
> > vs testing. In general your installation is royally broken after
> > an upgrade regardless which one you used.
>
> My point is that there's a huge difference between creating an official
> Skolelinux release that handles upgrades from the earlier officially
> released Skolelinux, and one that handles upgrades from the endless
> combinations of packages possible by using the ever moving target called
> "testing".

if we managed (ok, famous words) to make the packages we
reconfigure use either multilevel configuration or
parse/rewrite/upgrade their own config files that would not be a
(big) issue.

> Go ahead everyone, have fun with sarge before it is stable (I do it
> myself too!). Just be ready to clean up again yourself - don't expect
> Skolelinux to provide an upgrade path from your mess.

*sight* this is what we need to do and it is really awkward.

>  - Jonas
>
> P.S.
>
> Don't cc me - I am subscribed to the list.

hopefully i rememebre removing the cc before sending this mail