Re: Upgrading (was: The next level of Custom Debian Distributions)

Knut Yrvin wrote:
This document is a result of talking to Jonas Smedegaard and Petter
Renholdtsen about upgradring a Custom Debian Distributions (CDD) to a
new version og Debian. I have based this on the issues that occurs
when upgrading from Skolelinux based on Woody to the new one based on
Sarge.

This reply is slightly off topic, but may be nice to know anyway.

For test purposes, I did a test of upgrading a combined server installed with venus , and upgrading it to sarge as off today. I used a somewhat recent CD-image to prevent everything from beeing fetched over the net, but the result should be the same. The machine also had some dev-packages installed, but I dont think their the one that causes the trouble.

First I started a apt-get dist-upgrade. This is the way most people would do the upgrade. This would lead to a lot of packages beeing uninstalled, and some packages beeing kept back, as you can see from
http://d.skolelinux.no/~finnarne/apt-get_dist-upgrade_woody-sarge_20050502.log
I aborted the "apt-get dist-upgrade" to do some other test.

Then I tested with just an "apt-get upgrade". You might se the log at http://d.skolelinux.no/~finnarne/apt-get_upgrade_woody-sarge_20050502.log

Finally, I did what are supposed to be the correct way of doing the upgrade, and that is to use "aptitude dist-upgrade". The short report is this: 631 packages upgraded, 349 newly installed, 52 to remove and 17 not upgraded.
after everything is downloaded and installed, we end up with
Der opstod fejl under behandlingen:
 libio-pty-perl
 libssl0.9.7
 libnet-ssleay-perl
 libtext-unaccent-perl
 lesstif2
 perl
 foomatic-bin
 libnet-dns-perl
 libxml-parser-perl
 libxrender1
 perl-modules
 libtext-iconv-perl
 libxft2
 libmd5-perl
 libnet-ldap-perl
 xfree86-common
 libunicode-string-perl
 libhtml-parser-perl
 autoconf
 libwww-perl
 libpam0g-dev
 liburi-perl
 libhtml-tagset-perl
 autoconf2.13
 webmin-ldap-user-simple
 libnet-perl
 libhtml-tree-perl
 libdigest-hmac-perl

You might read the full logfile (warning, the logfile is 4.2 MB) at: http://d.skolelinux.no/~finnarne/aptitude_dist-upgrade_woody-sarge_20050502.log

OK - now I'm off to reinstall my woody test-server ....

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no