Re: kernel headers package

Hi,

sorry if I'm a little unclear sometimes, I'm hampered by not having access
to this server much.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Ragnar Wisløff wrote:

> mandag 14 februar 2005, 11:17, skrev Gavin McCullagh:
> >
> > I recently installed Skolelinux onto an IBM xSeries 336 dual xeon
> > server.
> >
> >   http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/xseries/x336.html
> >
> > It may be that the latest tg3 driver in the 2.6 kernel does support
> > this
> > but for now it appears I'll need to compile the proprietary driver to
> > get
> > it up on the network.
>
> I am afraid I don't. I have seen exactly the same result on an IBM 226,
> which
> is a similar machine just down-market. So it would be interesting to know
> if
> there are any simple solutions. Be aware that if you do not use a RAID
> controller in these machines, the hostraid solution on the Adaptec card
> renders the discs useless too.

It seems I may have been a little unfair to Broadcom.  This source package
contains a bcm5700 driver which appears to be GNU licensed.

http://packages.debian.org/stable/misc/bcm5700-source
http://packages.debian.org/testing/net/bcm5700-source

For some reason the one in sarge is in non-free.  Anyone know why?  The
package descriptions are totally different too.  The stable one says:

  "The biggest reason that this driver is not yet in the mainstream kernel is
   because nobody seems to understand the code.
   The source code however reveals how to use "hardware accelerated" vlan
   tagging.
   This driver works with Ben Greears vlan patches."

The testing one says:

  "This package provides the source code for the bcm5700 module provided by
   Broadcom. You will need make-kpkg from kernel-package to be able to compile
   modules usable with a Debian kernel."

As I don't have access to the CDROM for the server I can't verify that that
is what they've given us.

Ragnar, which driver are you using?  Do you know if this one will work?

Gavin