Re: Q: About the AMD32/64 support with Skolelinux/Debian-Edu

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Knut Yrvin wrote:

> When we give advice about hardware we focuses mainly on stability. To know
> if the hardware and chip-sets are stable, we have to use well known and
> mainstream hardware.

I couldn't agree more.  I'm quite happy to sacrifice some performance in
return for getting tried and tested hardware that's known to be stable.
The worst case scenario is for the system to be in any way unstable.

> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen(at)raw no> <http://raw.no/personal/blog/>
> probably also know a lot about this because his heavily interest in
> porting Debian to AMD64, and his involvment in Skolelinux. I send a copy
> of this mail to him :-)

Thanks.  Ideally it'd be great to have Opteron's with proper AMD64 compiled
Skolelinux but for now if Opterons were stable using regular i686 that'd be
worth considering.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Sven Tore Iversen wrote:

> We've done this (run opteron in prod), and I know at least one other school
> has, since every time someone says that it's never been done - we protest :)
>
> The server has been running since may.
>
> No problems detected.

Good to know.  May I ask what motherboard?

Gavin