Re: Multiarch support in dpkg — really in time for wheezy?

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 12:25:31PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-10-21 at 11:23:27 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Given this, and if Guillem hasn't responded with a review requiring
> > further work on the branch by sunday, I will upload dpkg 1.16.2 to
> > experimental on sunday (October 23th).
<snip>
> > I will also ensure that this second upload happens.
>
> NACK on both unreviewed uploads.

Guillem, I'm very much worried about this attitude.

[ Disclaimer: my only data points come from people who have been trying
  to get m-a in the archive in the past several months, including the
  Release Team and Raphael. I might hence be biased or misinformed. I've
  been trying to get your POV in the past weeks without much success,
  mainly due to our different availability periods on IRC, so let's have
  this discussion here. ]

What worries me is that there is multi-arch work in dpkg, work that has
its origins in Debian. That work is ready enough to be deployed in
popular Debian derivatives such as Ubuntu, but is not in Debian proper
yet. That is bad for Debian morale and should be avoided. Moreover, that
work is also considered ready enough by other dpkg co-maintainers, by
the Release Team, and by various porters, which have all asked multiple
times to have that work in the Debian archive.

Looking from the outside, the only blockers for that to happen are your
NACK-s. Those NACKs have been posted repeatedly, together with (largely
disattended) promises of timely review, uploads, and "git push"-es of
yours.

Accepting this attitude would be very bad for Debian, because it is at
stake with the way we usually do things (AKA "do-ocracy"). Accepting
this attitude would indeed mean acknowledging that people who have
earned respect in the past as maintainers can stall work done by others
by simply saying "NACK", without having to contribute alternative
solutions and/or show progress. We cannot allow that to happen in
Debian.

I'm very happy to see that some git push -es of yours are now flowing
into dpkg.git. I thank you for that. But it also seems that is happening
way slower than what is needed. (And TBH the thought of you hurrying up
now in doing such a work is worrisome in its own right.)

Please be a team player. If you can make it, that's great, we will all
benefit from extra eyes on the code, especially if they are experienced
eyes as yours. But if you cannot make it, please step back and allow for
uploads to happen. In case you are not willing to do that, I'd be in
favor of having other dpkg co-maintainers doing the uploads the Release
Team is asking for. After all, there is nothing that cannot be fixed
later in subsequent uploads.

Cheers.