Multiarch support in dpkg — really in time for wheezy?

Guillem,

we, the Release Team of the next stable release — wheezy —, are concerned about
the state of dpkg with relation to multiarch.  Now, the news was already broken
at DebConf that wheezy will indeed be released as multiarch-ready[0].  This
might have been a bit premature, I guess.

If we want to carry on with multiarch in wheezy it really should enter
the archive now.  The freeze deadline is approaching fast and we must be
able to shake out all the bugs in the time that's left.  Deprecating ia32-libs
in a single cycle seems to be quite a bit of work, too.

Currently nobody can test multiarch with in-archive software.  The multiarch
patches did not even land in experimental, despite some pokes from fellow
project members[1].

It's been over a month since your last announcement[2] that 1.16.2 is "coming
soon".  If you have concerns over the implementation that's already in place
in a Debian derivative please speak up now, so that they can be properly
addressed in time.  I can understand your desire to review the changes
properly[3], but please don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

We would like to see a dpkg with multiarch support in experimental now
and dpkg in sid in about two weeks time.  Otherwise we might not be able to
pursue this goal for wheezy.

Kind regards and serious thanks for all your efforts,
Philipp Kern
for the Debian Release Team

[0] http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110726b
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/09/msg00077.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2011/07/msg00030.html
[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2011/09/msg00005.html
--
 .''`.  Philipp Kern                        Debian Developer
: :' :  http://philkern.de                         Stable Release Manager