Re: dpkg-buildpackage now reorganizing debian/control Depends field??

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Fr, 22 Feb 2008, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > I can understand it might change the list of packages pulled, but both set
> > are supposed to work since that what dependencies are expressing. If you
>
> I disagree. Sometimes alternatives are something we put in to help
> transition. We have
> 	... texlive-foo | tetex-bar
> and if this gets reordered that would be actually a big disadvantage.
> People will suddently get HUGE amount of packages due to
> 	tetex-bar depends on several texlive-packages

You're speaking of something that you have not understood. The order
of packages listed in an OR has not changed... I am (of course) aware
that the order has a meaning in that case.

> Alternatives have an order, re-ordering this is BAD!

Posting without verifying one's own assertions is bad too...

> Raphael, could you please explain the reasoning behind reordering
> *within* alternatives, if this is done. If not all is ok.

"All is ok" as you say. :-)

Raphaël Hertzog