Re: Working on dpkg during Debconf

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 16:30:51 -0500, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 07:49:19PM +0200, Nicolas François wrote:
> > On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 11:35:51AM +0200, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> > > Other:
> > >  - Etch release plan. We have essentially 3 months left until the base
> > >    freeze, so we should make a list of bugs we would like to resolve
> > >    until then. Maybe we also can identify some bugs we will certainly
> > >    not fix for etch since they would mean too much changes.
> >
> > Regarding this point, I would like to know if it seems reasonable to drop
> > install-info from dpkg in favor of the GNU's one before the freeze.
>
> Sounds like a good thing to look at together.

I think it's a good idea. When I was looking into the install-info
problems I also thought about this.

The solutions I could see were either moving it to a new package
generated from the info src package, or move to an existing binary
package like info and make it essential (but I don't see moving info to
essential as something people will like ;).

Currently ginstall-info is present in texinfo, but this packages takes
around 2 MiB, info takes around 300 KiB. Probably we can take this
oportunity as well to get install-info and the dir file currently in
the base-files into the same package.

regards,
guillem