Re: multiarch support and dpkg 2.0 design document

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 12:55:52AM -0700, Matt Taggart and others wrote:
> One of the possible implementation strategies, and the one which HP/Canonical
> feel holds the most promise, involves adding some new features to the package
> manager. Some of these features were mentioned in Scott James Remnant's
> dpkg2.0 talk at debconf5 and probably on this list and IRC, you may have
> already heard about them. In preparation for implementing these features,
> Scott has prepared a design document for review
>
>   http://multiarch.alioth.debian.org/dpkg2.pdf
>
> Please review and provide feedback and if you're interested in helping out
> step up and get involved. I think you'll agree some of these new feature are
> really cool and should be fun to work on.

After spending some hours today digging through dpkg source code I
totally see the arguments against implementing that stuff in 1.13.
Much of the code is really hard to read (even though it is probably
somewhat harder for me personally because I'm not really used to C).

But is there someone stepping up to lead efforts to really start
developing dpkg 2? I've not seen something happening to that effect
on this list.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>