Re: Sync for dpkg

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 15:15 +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:

> I've re-synced my dpkg--devel--1.13 branch with yours.
>
> The translations for 1.13 are not complete (except French which I keep
> complete myself) and would require a call for update to translators in
> case you plan to upload it to unstable some day.

1.13 is being uploaded reasonably regularly to experimental, so I think
we should try for continual translation for it where possible.  I don't
have any immediate plans to upload to unstable, certainly it would be
after sarge is released in any case.

There's a couple of things I'd like to investigate for the 1.13 branch:

1) Notification of out-dated strings.  Would this help translators,
   especially for continual translation (rather than calling before an
   upload)?  We could use a system like Rosetta, or similar -- or just
   home-brewed notification on dpkg.org.

   I don't know what translators want, or how they like to work, you're
   better positioned to answer this than me.

2) man translation.  Currently we're doing man page translation by
   simply shipping alternate copies of the pages in different languages.

   To me this sounds like (relatively) a lot of work for translators to
   figure out what's changed and update their copies.  I suspect this
   explains why so few languages have translated languages, and nearly
   none have a complete set!

   It'd be good to investigate alternate ways of doing this, if there
   are any.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?