Re: Rewrite/redesign of apt-howto

Hi,  good to hear you updating contents.

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 03:04:40AM -0200, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> Em Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:17:09 +0100, Josip Rodin <joy@srce.hr> escreveu:
>
> > On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 04:24:23AM -0200, Gustavo Noronha Silva
> > wrote:
> > > 2 - aptitude! I am no longer focusing on apt-get, as I've been
> > > convinced that using a more inteligent libapt-using-program is
> > > much better/safer

Certainly it is something we need to inform uses.  aptitude has few
issues as a packages.  Program is fine but its accompanying dataset are
outdated.  So be warened.

> > Hear, hear. Anything that makes better use of Recommends and
> > Suggests...
>
> Like dselect? =D

I kind of like what dselect does.  If only aptitude has mode like this.

> People seem to be less afraid of aptitude, although I'd agree that dselect
> has better handling of those.
>
> > You might also want to mention synaptic, which seems good for GUI weenies. :)
>
> Indeed! The best one 'till now!
>
> It looks awesome close to my gnome2 port of the gnome frontend for debconf =D:
>
> http://beterraba.no-ip.org/synaptic-debconfg2.png
> http://beterraba.no-ip.org/debconf
>
> (these may be unavailable for some time between today and 04/01)
>
> Thanks for the suggestions,

Few requests:

1. Please give fair warning of using testing on slow security fixes.
2. Please give fair warning of very likely conflicts under the use of
   pinning actions.  Also fair waining of updating system to the latest
   glibc for most cases.
3. Add CVS version based translation check like what I do.

Osamu