Re: DDP CVS commit by jfs: ddp/manuals.sgml/ddp-policy/en common.sgml

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 07:12:50AM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> What license do people you recommend for new Debian documentation?
> I'm working on a newbie help program which I initially made GPL; but
> it's really mostly documentation. Also, we're almost ready to start
> the new install manual.

I honestly have no particular feeling on the subject, as long as it's
free. It would probably help for it to be GPL-compatible, so that bits
of it can be incorporated into GPLed software.

Branden Robinson suggested this one, which is an old GNU documentation
licence, a copyleft, and is used in various forms in some LDP
documentation:

   Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this
   manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are
   preserved on all copies.

   Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of
   this manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that
   the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a
   permission notice identical to this one.

   Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this
   manual into another language, under the above conditions for modified
   versions, except that this permission notice may be stated in a
   translation approved by the <copyright holder, or an organization to
   whom the copyright holder is willing to delegate this function>.

But you might be better off asking debian-legal for an opinion; I
unsubscribed from that list a while back.

Cheers,