Re: cvs commit to ddp/manuals.sgml/faq by osamu

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 06:08:16PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 09:15:20AM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> > Please update me your opinion on this matter.  My current understandings
> > are:
> >        Option1(this / that)  Option2(this/ that)  Option3(this/that)
> > Osamu  Yes                   OK                   prefer to avoid
> > Josip  Better over Opt2      prefer to avoid      No comment
> > Denis  No(Strong)            No comment           Yes(Strong)
> > Chris  Yes?(implied)         No comment           No comment
>
> I choose ... <pensive> door 1!
>
> Yeah, I've always preferred that format anyway, I think it's easier
> to read and more consistent.
>
> However, isn't the particular case you're talking about actually a
> case of program syntax? I mean, you shouldn't break the syntax if
> that's what it is.

This is not any part of short-form SGML syntax nor and part of example
script.

Just a part of plain text contents.  Since SGML parsers treats "/" as
non-whitespace characters, it treats "/" as a part of long word and does
not break line.
---x8 snip-start
<sect id="depends">What is meant by saying that a package
  Depends/Recommends/Suggests/Conflicts/Replaces/Provides another package?
---x8 snip-end

Real question is what is the correct or recommended practice for this
type of situation?  Someone with access to some authoritative English
style guide books for technical writing maybe the one to judge.  It
ain't me.

Chris, hint, hint, ...(You seem to be the only native English speaker on
this thread)

 Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D
.
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
.
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net
.
 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.