concerning debian-reference and the necessity for the competitors

I would suggest we either kill or take steps to kill a number of
unmaintained manuals.  I'm starting with manuals which are obsoleted,
I suspect, by debian-reference, which seems like the flag-bearer right
now for user/sysadmin information.

I know I am not being diplomatic and "correct" here -- but it's worse
to have a DDP area which is mostly a graveyard of dead manuals.  I
feel it's better to have one maintained manual that 4 unmaintained
manuals.

So -- I don't mean to disrespect anyone's efforts. I'd just like to
clean up some dead stuff which is unmaintained and focus our efforts
in a single place.  My interests are in better docs for our users, a
sustainable DDP, and a clear place to go for contributors,
translators, etc.

Below I list a number of manuals which may or may not candidates for
merging into debian-reference and then eliminating.  Please do shout
out loudly if one of the following manuals should *not* be so
integrated for some reason.

For baseline, debian-reference figures:

Last significant update: 2003-02-24
Num. lines changed since 2002-01-01: 11499 (not counting removed files)
Translations: DE, ES, FR, IT, PT

* tutorial

Last significant update: 1999-02-26
Num. lines changed since 2002-01-01: 0
Num. lines changed since 2002-01-01: 0
Translations: FR, ES

Pretty clearly obsolete and no longer maintained.  Suggest we review
it for anything that might be sensibly added to debian-reference and
then 'cvs rm' it.

* user

Last significant update: 2002-03-28
Num. lines changed since 2002-01-01: 70
Num. lines changed since 2001-01-01: 122
Translations: none

Most of it is just outline/draft.  Suggest we review it for anything
that might be sensibly added to debian-reference and then 'cvs rm' it.

* debian-guide (package, not in CVS)

Last significant update: 1999-08-06
Num. lines changed since 2002-01-01: 0
Num. lines changed since 2001-01-01: 0
Translations: none

Unmaintained, is seems to overlap with debian-reference, does it have
anything to offer not in that document?

* system-administrator

Last significant update: 2002-09-27
Num. lines changed since 2002-01-01: 7
Num. lines changed since 2001-01-01: 22
Translations: none (one file in RU)

Seems to overlap with debian-reference, only had two content commits
in 2002, and only a translation was adding all of 2001.  Probably has
some contents which could be integrated in debian-reference.

* network-administrator

Last significant update: 2002-12-07
Num. lines changed since 2002-01-01: 146
Num. lines changed since 2001-01-01: 146
Translations: ES, RU

Only two content commits in 2002, one in 2001, 2 in 2000.  Suggest we
see if rkrusty is amenable to working with debian-reference instead.

--
...Adam Di Carlo...<adam@onshored.com>.......<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>