Re: The future of mipsel port

Hi,

On 2023-08-06 13:54, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2023 at 12:45:51PM +0800, YunQiang Su wrote:
> > Hi, folks,
> >
> > Welcome to era of Trixie, and let's talk about the future of mipsel.
>
> > So I consider to suggest drop mipsel support from the list of official ports.
> > (And let's keep mips64el port).
>
> I am late to the party but as i mentioned a couple times on debian-mips
> already i'd like to keep mipsel as a debian-port - and i'd like to

From what I have understood from  YunQiang plans, it is currently not
planned to import mipsel on debian-ports. Are you volunteering for
maintaining such a port?

> revert away from mips32r2 back to mips2/mips3 - That change (with
> stretch) basically dropped all of the supported platforms formerly
> supported without a good reason - mips32r2 cpus would have been

The reason is that many upstream code do not support mips2 anymore,
especially for JIT languages or languages with their own code generator.
Be prepared for a lot of upstream work.

Regards
Aurelien

aurelien@aurel32.net                     http://aurel32.net