Re: On accepting pre-generated doc from upstream

On 13235 March 1977, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:

> As a possible workaround, upstream has suggested to provide the documentation
> already generated (could be for the submodules and/or the full doc, this has
> not been discussed yet). My first reaction has been to think that this will
> not be allowed in Debian, but giving it some more thought,:

FTPMaster accepts this for documentation, just:

- full source must be there. That is, that whats edited, not something
  in the middle[1] that one might be able to edit too.
- the stuff is, in principle, buildable by Debian. With tools available
  in the same component than the package. (ie. main only for packages in
  main!)
- the maintainer MUST ensure that the stuff shipped is actually what
  comes out of building it, ie. matches the source we ship. Down to the
  last bit (minus things like Date headers or so that just vary on purpose).

[1] like, write it in a non-free editor in a propetiery format, then
    "export" it to (say) LaTeX, ship that. (And keep doing that). We
    don't take LaTeX as the source.

> So, could we accept pre-generated documentation in this case?

Yes. Though it might still be better to not do it, see reasons listed
elsewhere (like, Don).

--
bye, Joerg