Re: Getting Intel Cedarview drivers into Debian

On 25/02/13 15:09, Mikko Rasa wrote:
> On 21.02.2013 19:42, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez wrote:
>> On 21/12/12 14:23, Mikko Rasa wrote:
>>> Hi Debian developers,
>>>
>>> I'm working as a consultant on a project to develop drivers for the
>>> PowerVR graphics processor in the Cedarview family of Intel Atom
>>> microprocessors in a Debian environment.  The current target is Wheezy,
>>> and Intel wishes to get the drivers into the official distribution.
>>>
>>> What they've failed to take into account is that Wheezy is currently
>>> frozen in preparation of release, so I'm more than a bit skeptical of
>>> getting a new package in (I was only brought in to the project very
>>> recently).  However, I promised to ask you about this, so here we go.
>>>
>>> It should be noted that due to licensing issues, the driver will be
>>> closed source.  The kernel component is under the GPL, so a dkms package
>>> will be made.
>>>
>>> There's also one kernel patch that needs to be applied to Wheezy's
>>> kernel for the driver to function.  The patch has been accepted to the
>>> mainline kernel, and my understanding is that it's included in the 3.7
>>> release[1].
>>>
>>> On to questions:
>>>
>>> 1. Is there any possibility of getting the drivers in the initial Wheezy
>>> release?  If so, what needs to happen on our end?
>>>
>>> 2. What about a subsequent update to Wheezy?  I wasn't able to find
>>> information on what kinds of changes are permitted.
>>>
>>> 3. Neither us nor Intel has any Debian developers on our respective
>>> payrolls.  What's the best approach for maintaining the package?  Should
>>> someone from Intel become a maintainer, or are there some existing
>>> developers or maintainers that can take responsibility of the package
>>> after the initial work is complete?
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=commit;h=ac207ed2471150e06af0afc76e4becc701fa2733
>>>

>> Hi!
>>
>> Has been there any progress related to this?
>>
>> Ubuntu 12.04 has this drivers already packaged. You can take their
>> packages and adapt them to Debian Wheezy.
>>
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise-updates/cedarview-drm
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise-updates/cedarview-graphics-drivers
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise-updates/libva-cedarview-vaapi-driver
>>

>> Unfortunately Ubuntu packages won't work on Debian Wheezy because the
>> binary blob for the Xorg driver (cedarview-graphics-drivers) is linked
>> with glibc 2.15 and Wheezy has 2.13.
>>

>> I would be interested in testing any package that you may have for
>> Wheezy. Just let me know about it.
>>

>> Regards!
>
> There's been some progress, but unfortunately we've found way more
> problems than we expected.  Much of this is result of us receiving an
> incorrect version of the driver source code.  The project has been on
> hold during February while the sales departments have discussed its
> continuation.  It looks like it's resuming now, but there are still
> [...]

Can you comment about the version of the DDK that you will be using?

AFAIK all the version of this driver out there
(Ubuntu/Meego/Fedora/Intel[1]...) are all based on the Device Driver Kit
(DDK) version 1.7 ED862890 from Imagination Technologies (IMG).
Basically is the same code compiled for different targets.

Will the packages you are planning for Wheezy be based also on this
version of the DDK (1.7-ED862890) or it will be based on a new
(improved?) version of the DDK?

I'm interested in knowing if Intel/Imagination has plans for an improved
version of this driver, because the one already available out there is a
nightmare in terms of performance.

Thanks!
-------

[1]