Re: No native packages?

On 01/28/2013 07:30 PM, Philip Hands wrote:
> You're going to have to do a lot better than saying that you don't like
> it very much if you're going to convince me that Joey's mistaken in that
> choice
Hi Phil,

Thanks for sharing your view (and the one of Joe).

I also maintain at least one native package: debpear, which is a helper
to build some PHP PEAR packages. So I do think it makes sense in some
cases. I would really like to hear others thoughts about this choice.
Is there counter arguments for this kind of package? Oh, and I allmost
forgot as well: openstack-pkg-tools is native too (but it's not in
testing, just in experimental until Wheezy is out).

I don't think it would need any change in derivatives, IMO, especially
because they don't need an upstart job to replace an init script which
doesn't exist in these packages. However, I don't really feel 100%
confident about these choices, and would happily read external opinions.

Thomas