Re: Knowing the release names in advance

On 01/01/2013 04:21 PM, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Hi Thomas and everybody, and « bonne année » !
>
> It seems to me that the main technical arguments advocating predictable or
> sortable release names have been given, so I think that the next step would be
> to make sure that they get to the right ears at the right time.  While this
> discussion on -devel may help to strenghten your proposition, I have the
> impression that the current contributors to the discussion are not the persons
> who will decide.
>
> How about a DEP to organise the discussion ?  It would help for the pros and
> cons to be recorded in a synthethic way in a document easy to find, which will
> be very useful if the persons in charge estimate that currently it is a
> development that has a lower priority than focusing on Wheezy's release.
>
>   http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep0/
>
> Cheers,

Hi Charles!

Maybe it's a bit overkill to do a DEP just for that no? Otherwise, I can
make
a sum-up of what has been said in the list, if you see fit. (Though
probably,
it would be best to find someone to do it that has a less strong point of
view on the mater, and with better English skills than me...)

Also, I do like the fact that the release team decides for the name, I think
that's a very nice reward for their huge work. However, I think everyone in
the project should have equal rights as to discuss and decide *when* we need
such names (and, as always, best is to have a consensus).

Thomas