Re: Really, ...

Hi again :-)

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 04:35:17PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

> I really think this is a case where personal experience is going to speak
> louder than any possible argument, which is why I think the next step is
> to make it simple and documented to switch init systems and see how it
> works.  You'll notice, for example, that Steve posted to his blog, and
> hence to Planet Debian, how to do this for upstart, and people are
> starting to experiment with systemd similarly.

Maybe some sort of mailing list could be dedicated to a discussion about
the actual usage of different init system so people may share their
experiences?

> The next step is to start getting *voluntary* native coverage for either
> or both of upstart or systemd (or OpenRC, for that matter) from those
> package maintainers who feel like adding support.  I, for one, plan on
> doing this for at least some of my packages for *both* upstart and systemd
> after the freeze is over, provided that there are simple, easy-to-follow
> instructions somewhere for how to write the appropriate configuration
> files.

I don't want to speak for Rene Mayrhofer as he is the official
maintainer of openswan but thanks to upstream (especially Paul Wouters)
the next Debian package version will presumably include native upstart
and systemd support (not sure if also openrc).

Kind regards
Harald Jenny