Re: Maildir vs. mbox in Debian

On 2012-11-29 15:30:47 +0100, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-11-29 at 15:20 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > Now, I would say that in general, the wasted space is small compared
> > to large attachments. And if you have only text and care about disk
> > space, you should consider a compressed format, not "pure mbox".
> Well it's not that small:
> http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2012-October/069130.html

So, around 10% on this example. Not really significant. If these 10%
are a problem, I would also consider other means, such as compressing
the mailbox (one can gain 50% or more) and/or removing "useless"
headers.

> > This depends. I index my archive mailbox with mairix, and with mairix,
> > it is better to use maildir as a search result is built with symlinks
> > instead of copying the individual mail messages.
> Do these tools (mairix, notmuch, etc.) also help with real full text
> search? I just though they'd index some stuff.

If by real full text, you mean a sequence of words, a solution is
to search one or two meaningful words with mairix (this should be
very fast), then do a full search on the resulting mailbox (which
should be small enough). This might also be scripted...