Re: Maildir vs. mbox in Debian

On Thu, 2012-11-29 at 15:20 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2012-11-29 01:28:37 +0100, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> > But it also has disadvantages to the mbox formats which may be crucial
> > for some people:
> > - wasting a lot of storage, which can be significant even if you use
> > small file systems block sizes...
> This is a problem with the file system, not with maildir.
Well I don't think you can say that so easily... or at least not in
practise... cause all the major filesystems seem to have this "problem".
Even if you use Reiser3 - which has anyway issues - that packed mode has
it's other drawbacks...

>   http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~theom/riscos/docs/ultimate/a252efmt.txt
> (just for the pleasure of citing mail from 1990 :)
:D

> Now, I would say that in general, the wasted space is small compared
> to large attachments. And if you have only text and care about disk
> space, you should consider a compressed format, not "pure mbox".
Well it's not that small:
http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2012-October/069130.html

> This depends. I index my archive mailbox with mairix, and with mairix,
> it is better to use maildir as a search result is built with symlinks
> instead of copying the individual mail messages.
Do these tools (mairix, notmuch, etc.) also help with real full text
search? I just though they'd index some stuff.

Chris.