Re: "Do not CC me"

On 11/25/2012 08:12 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012, Jakub Wilk wrote:

* Dmitrijs Ledkovs <xnox@debian.org>, 2012-11-26, 00:19:

If your e-mail processing machinery cannot handle duplicate messages (due
to cross-postings and CC's), maybe you should get an a better email
processing machinery. Receiving duplicate emails is inevitable, and
trivial to deal with.

Oh really? I've always wondered how is this supposed to work.

Well, the software to do it is around for more than 15 years.  Google for
"procmail duplicate suppression".

But what about cases where suppressing duplicates isn't what you want to do?

If someone CCs me on a reply to an on-list message, it means (or should mean) "I
specifically want to draw your attention to this, and I think you may not see
the reply if I just send it to the list". In cases where they're right, I very
likely do want to see the CCed duplicate copy.

Not to mention that on-list messages are generally at least slightly different
(altered Subject lines and/or list footers being the most common visible
examples, and List-ID headers being one common usually-invisible example); I do
want the on-list copy (so that messages from the list in my archive are
consistent), even if I've already received the off-list copy, but in my
experience the Message-IDs of the two variants of the message are very often
identical.

--
   The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
  - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger