Re: "Do not CC me"

On 26 November 2012 00:50, brian m. carlson
<sandals@crustytoothpaste.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 12:19:18AM +0000, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
>> If your e-mail processing machinery cannot handle duplicate messages
>> (due to cross-postings and CC's), maybe you should get an a better
>> email processing machinery. Receiving duplicate emails is inevitable,
>> and trivial to deal with.
>
> Is it?  I filter mailing lists into a separate folder for each mailing
> list using procmail (using the RFC 2919 List-Id header).  I also have
> notifications on my cell phone (via my IMAP client) for mail in my inbox
> and certain other folders, but not mailing lists.  So if I receive the
> CC first, and the mail from the list second, whatever de-duplication I
> do, I've already been notified that I have a potentially important email
> in my inbox.  Please inform me how I am to go back in time and not
> receive the notification on my cell phone, or please explain to me why
> your mail to the list is so important that I should receive notification
> of it wherever I am and whatever I'm doing.

I see. I went back to check my email archive. I have found two
instances of debian-devel posts that did CC my @debian.org email
address (I am also subscribed to debian devel via @debian.org). I only
have one email. It is sorted correctly. I am still trying to decipher
how come I don't have this problem.

But in general with CC's to the mailing lists, both To: & Cc: headers
have debian-devel & yourself in both messages and List-Id only in one
of them. So surely you can filter one copy to /dev/null as
appropriate?!

BCC: is the evil one, cause then you have to look at Delivered-To.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.