Re: Really, about udev, not init sytsems

On 11/25/2012 02:19 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I really wish people would stop having this debate.
>
> It is completely pointless for us to argue here over whether or not the
> fork will be successful.  The outcome of that argument is completely
> irrelevant to the world: even if we all decide that the fork will be
> successful or all decide that the fork will be unsuccessful, it will not
> have the slightest effect on reality.  Meanwhile, it will become obvious
> (or at least much more obvious) whether the fork is successful if we just
> wait and see what happens.
>
> All that debating its possible success is doing is hardening everyone's
> positions (about something for which there's no point in having a
> position!) and creating hard feelings.
>
> For those of us who are not directly involved in upstream kernel
> development or other affected upstream projects, the *only* thing that
> anyone has to worry about at this very, very early stage is whether you,
> personally, want to go help with the fork.

I probably would have like to at least contribute a bit what I can
(I don't think I could have helped a lot with major core stuff on a
udev fork, but I'm sure there are other areas where help would
be welcome). But if everyone in Debian already rejects it before
we have anything to show, then I wont waste my time.

In fact, seeing how this discussion turns out, I probably even
regret even the few hours I spent on a Sunday, few months ago,
trying to build OpenRC on Debian.

Thomas