Re: Canonical pushes upstart into user session - systemd developer complains

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 08:29:51PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 08:17:35PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 07:20:02PM +0100, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez wrote:
> > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/Specs/RaringUpstartUserSessions

> > This is actually going to be very interesting to see if they are able
> > to extend upstart in such a way that they can use it for session
> > management similar to systemd-loginctl.

> While reading a bit on it, I found this passage:

> > By making use of a Linux-specific prctl(2) call, we effectively tie
> > Upstart to systems running with a Linux kernel. This is a major
> > restriction, but porting to other systems is already complicated by
> > the fact that even the BSDs do not provide a full POSIX environment
> > (missing "waitid(2)" for example).

> So it's not just systemd which runs into the situation that at some
> point they have to drop support for non-Linux kernels because they
> need a Linux-specific feature, in this case prctl.

Upstart is already not portable to non-Linux kernels.  This is a known
issue; had it not been for sensitivity to not breaking Debian's non-Linux
ports, it's likely that upstart would have been the default in Debian before
systemd was a glimmer in Lennart's eye.

Unlike systemd, upstart is open to being ported to non-Linux kernels.
Sadly, so far no one has stepped up to do this work.