Re: Gentoo guys starting a fork of udev

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 03:05:50AM +0000, Darren Salt wrote:
> [snip]
> > Even the claims of the Gentoo people about the separate /usr partition
> > are unjustified [4].
>
> > [4] http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
>
> From that page:
>
> “There is no way to reliably bring up a modern system with an empty /usr.”
>
> False, on the assumption that by that they mean ‘with /usr mounted after init
> has been started’.
They mean "with /usr mounted after the commands mentioned on the page have
been invoked", as the init itself doesn't need /usr to be started.

> Or at least it was when I last booted the box on which this was written (last
> month; and as that's running wheezy and has reasonably recent hardware, I'd
> consider it ‘modern’¹).
You should understand that "it seems to work for me" is not a valid
argument here.

"Most of the failures you will experience with /usr split off and not
pre-mounted in the initramfs are graceful failures: they won't become
directly visible, however certain features become unavailable due to these
failures. "

--
WBR, wRAR