Re: debian mate

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 15:21:38 +0100
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> > > I kind of insist it being in jessie ;) And yes, that makes another good
> > > point why the gnome3-fallback just can't feel like the real thing. It is
> > > supposed to be for those users that 1.) can't use the shell as no 3D
> > > acceleration available 2.) absolutely can't or don't want to work with a
> > > new and different desktop-paradigm, with accepted pain and grief in
> > > varying detail...
> >
> > So what you suggest for jessie is, after users having gone through the
> > “pain” of moving from GNOME2 to GNOME 3 classic, to go back to GNOME2
> > with GTK2, GConf (sorry, MateConf) and almost everything looking like a
> > squeeze desktop?
>
> Most Debian users haven't gone through the pain of change yet, they're
> still running GNOME2 with Squeeze. And please, don't call it "GNOME3
> classic", there is no such thing. It's a fallback mode, an ugly one.

Most Debian users will end up migrating to something other than GNOME2
before Jessie is released as the new stable. That's Josselin's point
and he's right. Having a GNOME2-alike in Jessie when there cannot be a
GNOME2-alike in Wheezy does count against including MATE into Jessie,
even if there is someone to do the work. GNOME3 *is* a migration
whether it's fallback mode or not, as is XFCE. MATE will not be in
Wheezy and staying on Squeeze until Jessie is released is probably not
suitable for most users.

I'm not saying that this is a good thing, necessarily, but it is what
we have and what we will have to work from.

However, if people choose to migrate to XFCE instead of GNOME3, then a
migration to a GNOME2-alike in Jessie isn't as hard but might still not
be wise. Who knows how XFCE will change with a bunch of new users
reporting issues and possibly new developers fixing things. I'm
undecided but possibly the best route for everyone interested in MATE
is to actually join up with the XFCE team and work together to provide
something which fixes the niggles with XFCE without burdening everyone
with 3D acceleration. That way we all get a long term fix as GNOME have
already outlined the end of 2D fallback mode support.

(/me thinks that there are plenty of valid use cases for 2D only
environments and that these aren't going away any time soon,
certainly not before Jessie is released.)

--

Neil Williams