Re: debian mate

Hi Michael,

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Michael Schmitt <tcwardrobe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am 20.11.2012 23:14, schrieb Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez:
>
>> On 20/11/12 22:55, Michael Schmitt wrote:
>>>
>>> If one likes Gnome2.x or MATE or not is a question of taste, to
>>> acknowledge that many users are just mad about Gnome3 is a fact. To
>>> offer no real sane upgrade-path for those users is... dunno how to say
>>> it in another way, it is just insane! I did invest some time with
>>> thinking about all of this including talking to some MATE folks and
>>> current squeeze-gnome-users, and again thinking and thinking... imho it
>>> must be done everything possible to try to circumvent that imho probable
>>> desaster for the desktop users. Especially when I think of the real
>>> *average next door users* not the techie guys who may be happy (or at
>>> least not cry to loud about it) to invest some time tweaking their Xfce
>>> or KDE to behave more or less like their old gnome2 did. And if you
>>> really insist, I can give you detailed reports about what kind of
>>> problems those users have with the current DEs in Debian including
>>> gnome3, but I don't want to bloat this mail anymore. I just can
>>> guarantee you now, the panel in gnome3-fallback being black is not one
>>> of them. ;)
>>>
>>>  From my point of view, as said I can't comment much on the technical
>>> aspects here. I can just ask those who may have the ability to do so, to
>>> do it in a fair way, with as less prejudice as possible. Again, for the
>>> users that will have an issue with the current envisioned upgrade-path.
>>> For those users not so keen about adding a third-party repo to their
>>> sources.list, those users not knowing about the possibility to do so,
>>> those users that will get pissed.
>>>
>>> regards
>>> Michael
>>>
>>> P.S.: I know there is already work in progress for MATE for jessie, I
>>> just think that is too late. But I don't want to trip on anyones toes
>>> here....
>>
>> AFAIK is completely impossible that Debian ships MATE for Wheezy. Wheezy
>> has been frozen time ago and by policy no new packages are allowed in
>> the archive for testing during the freeze.
>
> So much for the general rules... but exceptions ARE possible! And I just try
> to make a case here about how important it might be!
>

>> If you want a "classical" desktop your main options are: gnome3-classic,
>> XFCE and LXDE. You have also cinnamon on sid (it won't make to wheezy)
>
> It is *not* about me and I know already all available options in all
> possible flavors and directions available as of today for wheezy.

I'm guessing that by the time wheezy is released MATE will be in
unstable and the wheezy-backports won't be far behind. It is a
sensible compromise.

Remember, Debian is more that just a Desktop operating system. Let's
work within policy and be respectful to those who are working hard to
get the release ready.

Cheers,

-mz