Re: debian mate

On 20/11/12 22:55, Michael Schmitt wrote:

> If one likes Gnome2.x or MATE or not is a question of taste, to
> acknowledge that many users are just mad about Gnome3 is a fact. To
> offer no real sane upgrade-path for those users is... dunno how to say
> it in another way, it is just insane! I did invest some time with
> thinking about all of this including talking to some MATE folks and
> current squeeze-gnome-users, and again thinking and thinking... imho it
> must be done everything possible to try to circumvent that imho probable
> desaster for the desktop users. Especially when I think of the real
> *average next door users* not the techie guys who may be happy (or at
> least not cry to loud about it) to invest some time tweaking their Xfce
> or KDE to behave more or less like their old gnome2 did. And if you
> really insist, I can give you detailed reports about what kind of
> problems those users have with the current DEs in Debian including
> gnome3, but I don't want to bloat this mail anymore. I just can
> guarantee you now, the panel in gnome3-fallback being black is not one
> of them. ;)
>
> From my point of view, as said I can't comment much on the technical
> aspects here. I can just ask those who may have the ability to do so, to
> do it in a fair way, with as less prejudice as possible. Again, for the
> users that will have an issue with the current envisioned upgrade-path.
> For those users not so keen about adding a third-party repo to their
> sources.list, those users not knowing about the possibility to do so,
> those users that will get pissed.
>
> regards
> Michael
>
> P.S.: I know there is already work in progress for MATE for jessie, I
> just think that is too late. But I don't want to trip on anyones toes
> here....

AFAIK is completely impossible that Debian ships MATE for Wheezy. Wheezy
has been frozen time ago and by policy no new packages are allowed in
the archive for testing during the freeze.

If you want a "classical" desktop your main options are: gnome3-classic,
XFCE and LXDE. You have also cinnamon on sid (it won't make to wheezy)

Gnome3-classic (fallback) is the option more like to what was gnome2. I
have been using it for a while and is a good option if you want a
desktop like gnome2.

What bothers me is that gnome3-classic will be deprecated with the next
release of GNOME. I hope that MATE can make into Debian for Jessie.

Regards!