Re: Gentoo guys starting a fork of udev

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 01:25:38PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
>   "The core components are always built (which includes systemd itself, as
>   well as udevd and journald).
>
>   For some uses the configure switches do not provide sufficient modularity.
>   For example, they cannot be used to build only the man pages, or to build
>   only the tmpfiles tool or udevd."
>
> I always have the feeling that everyone who is zealously advocating systemd
> simply didn't read the documentation first.

>From what I understand, the sentence above is assuming you are running "make".
Their makefile is well specified, so you can just build udevd by running "make
udevd". However, I have yet to see (and haven't tried) how easy it would be to
actually build all of the udev components from the sysemd source in the context
of a package. I.e., you could not rely on the output of "make install" putting
the files you need into a given directory, I think you'd need to cherry-pick
the files you *know* you need for udev, and tracking that set and changes to it
may prove a real pain.

(I think Matthias tried to make the same point, but I couldn't parse
his email.)