Re: major linux problems summary 2012

On 11/04/2012 04:54 AM, Andrej N. Gritsenko wrote:
> That is no case for open software as you still have no money from it,
> whether would you fix the bugs or not, therefore will someone use it
> beside you or not, it still will be for your own fun. That's the
> difference and I have to admit that is the truth. Despite the fact I'm
> open software developer myself. Cheers! Andriy.
It is very often the case that you do have money and big companies
involved in building free and open source software. Sometimes, even for
free software, there's money at stake if bugs aren't fixed.

In some cases as well, for commercial / proprietary software, there is
very little incentive to fix bugs, and they money would continue to come
even with buggy / badly maintained software (for example, in
monopolistic situations, you often get crappy software but have no
choice so you continue to pay...).

I've read countless times posts in forums pretending that support is
better with commercial software, when in fact, it's often the opposite
way, with companies being very happy to do (paid for) support.

So please don't be so prompt to make wrong generalities. It doesn't
serve any purpose anyway, even if it was right.

Thomas