Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Intel/AMD x86 CPU microcode update system in non-free

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez wrote:
> On 06/11/12 17:05, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Still, it did lead me to a possible cause:  I am not trying to modprobe
> > "microcode" in the intel-microcode postinst.  This can indeed cause the
> > failure to update microcode at package install time.
> >
> > I forget why I didn't do it that way in the first place, but that's easily
> > fixed.  Please file a bug, severity minor.  I will check for any possible
> > problems it might cause, and if I can't find any, I will fix it in unstable.
>
> Same here.
>
> Just installed intel-microcode and iucode-tool and it didn't worked
> until I manually modprobed the microcode module.
>
> Just wondering...
>
> Perhaps you should add a file in /etc/modules.d/ to automatically load
> the microcode module at start-up?

It is indeed loaded on boot by the initramfs support, and it is also
auto-loaded by the kernel in some situations.  So, it will be fine after a
reboot.

Non-initramfs setups are supported in a limited fashion, and will require
manual setup.  This is properly documented in the package's README files in
/usr/share/doc/intel-microcode/ or /usr/share/doc/amd64-microcode/.

  Henrique Holschuh