Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Intel/AMD x86 CPU microcode update system in non-free

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 06:12:53PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >I would like to bring to your attention the improved support for system
> >processor (CPU) microcode updates, for x86/i686/x86-64/amd64 systems
> >that was recently added to [non-free] Wheezy.
>
> Alas, this will not work for XEN users because I can’t update the
> microcode in Dom0 with xen-hypervisor 4.1. There exist kernel
> patches (over a year old), but according to the xen-devel ML they
> are not good enough to be included in the kernel.
>
> With XEN 4.2 the hypervisor can load the CPU microcode. Would this
> be a reason to include XEN 4.2 in Wheezy?

I wouldn't know, please ask the xen maintainers and the release manager
about it.  Maybe a backport of the relevant functionality is also a possible
solution.

What I do know is that lack of microcode update support is a severe issue
IMO.

  Henrique Holschuh